Friday, May 28, 2010

Small light at the end of the tunnel

This staying focused things is not easy. It takes a lot of effort to stay focused, but I'm sticking with it. My walks are going well. I even added a jog, well more like a trot, to the mix. It takes me about an hour to do 4 miles. It keeps my mind clear and I do a lot of thinking. It's my "me" time. I have noticed that a lot of people don't like to spend time with themselves. They fill up every hour, minute, second with something, work, friends, family, etc. I used to do the same thing. Then I realized that if I didn't take time for myself, I couldn't be the best mother, daughter, wife, employee, girlfriend, Joycelyn I could be. If I keep giving and giving and never take time to replenish, revive and refresh myself, I would eventually burn out, which would not be good for anyone. I also noticed that may don't spend time with themselves because they may be running from something. In the therapy world, they are called escape artist. They will do anything to avoid dealing with a problem or problems. They don't want to see the elephant in the room. From personal experience, the elephant gets bigger and eventually the problem, whatever it is, will catch up with you. So I try to spend time with myself so I can see clearly how to deal with problems or ways to keep myself moving in the right direction or whatever. I have come to enjoy it, even setting some walking/running goals that I really see myself accomplishing. What do you do to spend time with yourself? Thanks for sharing.

1 comment:

  1. I never figured you as someone that has trouble staying focused. To me you've always seemed very self aware and pulled together. Congrats on sticking with walking! It's something we all need to do more of. I try to escape into my little studio and paint any time I have a chance to be alone. That's when I do my best work.

    ReplyDelete